I know not everyone has chestnut flour on hand and most of you may have never heard of it. I feel bad posting recipes that include ingredients that can not be purchased at the local health food store, but this flour is great!! There are a million grain free pumpkin bread recipes out there using almond and coconut flour, so I wanted to give a different option. My hope is thatone day soon chestnut flour will be available locally for all of us that are eating gluten and grain free.
In case you missed it, I also used chestnut flour in this Grain Free Ginger Cookies Recipe and explain what chestnut flour is. The best place to buy it is at nuts.com and you can get some fantastic almond flour (comparable to Honeyville Brand)or cashew flour to make the Spicy Rosemary Cashew Crackers.
Grain Free Chestnut Flour Pumpkin Bread
- 1 3/4 cup chestnut flour
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar or erythritol (I did 1/8 cup palm sugar and erythritol for the remaining)
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 -2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- Blend the eggs, pumpkin, oil and sugar with a hand mixer
- Combine the flour, salt, soda and spices in a different mixing bowl
- Make sure your pan is greased and ready to go before this next step. The soda and vinegar is a rising agent and starts acting immediately so you want to get the bread in the oven asap.
- Add the vinegar and the dry mixture to the wet and stir well
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes
Serve warm with some grass-fed butter...mmmmmmm!