I'm going to keep this short and sweet..these are flourless and delicious! I used almond butter to create this recipe and it works well will apples and cinnamon! Nut butters work great to hold baked goods together and give them structure. You can use this recipe as a template and change out the nut butter, fruit and spice. I think chocolate chips with almond butter would be mmmmmm....but what isn't yummy when you combine nuts and chocolate!!
I drizzled a caramel sauce over the top, but that is optional. I am still trying to create a caramel recipe that is low in sugar, but Swerve doesn't work well in this application. I used my experiment on these muffins, but suggest using a recipe that we know works. I suggest Elana's Pantry Dairy Free Caramel Sauce or this one from Smitten Kitchen that includes butter, but I would use full fat coconut milk in place of heavy cream and coconut sugar. I think butter is what gives caramel sauce that caramel taste...in my honest opinion.
Recipe: Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sweetener (Swerve for no sugar option)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp or more cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 heaping cup apples, peeled and diced (1 apple)
- Caramel sauce*
- Peel and dice the apples. Toss with a couple sprinkles of cinnamon, set aside in a large mixing bowl
- Place all of the remaining ingredients in a food processor and combine
- Pour the batter over the apples and combine well.
- Spoon the batter into a lined muffin tin. You should get 6 large muffins or 8 regular sized muffins
- Bake at 350 for 25-27 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let them sit for a few minutes. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
*See above for caramel sauce recipe links.
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!
*I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out BeautyCounter for more info!! You will love it!!