It's about to get REALLY cold here in Colorado...and snow a few inches. I am actually excited for it to feel like winter and like the Holidays. This soup is perfect for these next few days of below zero nights!
I used a crockpot to make this soup so that I could just throw it in and walk away from it. I don't see why this wouldn't work in a large sauce pan or a soup pot like this Le Creuset Soup Pot that I would love to have!!
Coconut Curry Chicken Meatball Soup
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 carton of mushrooms, shiitake or button
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/2 pastured egg, beaten (save the other half to add into eggs or add to a smoothie)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 1 1-2 inch piece of peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp Coconut Aminos*
- 1 1/2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- Chop the whites off of the onions and set the greens aside for the soup. Finely chop 1/2 cup of the mushrooms and save the rest for the soup
- Combine the chicken, egg, chopped whites, chopped mushrooms, minced garlic and sea salt in a bowl
- Form the meat into desired size meatballs and place in the bottom of the crockpot
- Combine the coconut milk, broth, coconut aminos and curry paste in a mixing bowl
- Add the remaining mushrooms and chopped greens from the onions
- Pour over the meatballs and place the piece of ginger into the liquid
- Cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, add salt if needed
*You could replace Coconut Aminos with tamari or Bragg’s, but both of those are saltier than the aminos so maybe use a bit less to start
I imagine this will work in a soup pot or could also be cooked on the low setting of your crockpot for longer if need be. You could add some additional vegetables such as broccoli, red pepper and snow peas if you wanted to. It may not be as soupy, but still good!!! This would also be great served over cauliflower rice or white rice if you tolerate it.
I actually ate this as leftovers cold and loved it just as much!