I promise I will tone it down a bit with the chocolate after Valentine's Day. Chocolate just makes everything better and is so fun to work with.
I created these truffles to be very low in sugar with a bit of added protein. There are numerous variations to this recipe so feel free to experiment.
Recipe: Coconut TrufflesIngredients
- 1 3/4 cup coconut chips or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen for it's thickness)
- 1/4 cup vanilla egg white protein or any vanilla protein
- 1 1/2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp powdered* Swerve for no sugar option or coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp cacao butter* or virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp finely ground coconut (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients (except chocolate coating) in a food processor and pulse until well combined
- Form into 1 inch round balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet or plate
- Place in the freezer for an hour
- Place a mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water and melt the chocolate and cacao butter or coconut oil
- Roll each ball in the chocolate and remove using a spoon
- Sprinkle the finely shredded coconut on each ball as soon as you take them out of the chocolate
- Return the balls to the freezer for the chocolate to set
- Store the truffles in the refrigerator so the inside is soft
*Run whatever dry sweetener you choose through a blender to powder it. If you don't, it will create a grainy texture.
*Cacao Butter is what gives these there smooth hard coating. Coconut oil works too, just not as smooth looking
You could leave the protein out but will need to add more coconut to absorb some of the moisture.
You might be able to use a liquid sweetener but will need to add more coconut or you could add some almond flour. This will create a different taste but still might be good.
You could stick one whole almond into each ball and create an Almond Joy Truffle.
Let us know what variations you create!
If you want to try Swerve or need to order more, use coupon code KATE10 for a 10% discount. Swerve is my favorite sugar replacement. It is the only sugar alcohol that will not cause tummy troubles and it does not raise blood glucose levels.
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!
*I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out BeautyCounter for more info!! You will love it!!