One last cookie recipe for the Holidays! These shortbread cookies have the perfect crunch and buttery flavor. I am learning to really like the cranberry and orange flavor pairing and it's the perfect combo for Christmas.
Cranberries are a very low sugar fruit making them a great low carb option for cakes, cookies and muffins. I did have to add arrowroot flour t0 this recipe to get them to hold together and retain their crunch. It does add a bit of starch to this recipe, but it's such a minimal amount! The fourth cup only adds about two carbs per cookie. I also used Swerve as the sweetener in this recipe to keep the sugar amount low, that way you can have more than one without guilt!!!
Recipe: Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Honeyville Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour/powder
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1/2-2/3 cup granulated sweetener (I used 2/3 cup Swerve)
- couple dashes of sea salt
- 1 heaping tbsp orange zest (Microplane that I love for zesting)
- 1 tsp fresh juice of the orange
- 1 tsp granulated sweetener or Swerve
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- Place the cranberries in a food processor with 1 tsp sweetener and pulse
- Toss cranberries with juice and zest, set aside
- In the food processor, add flour, arrowroot, sugar and salt. Pulse until combined
- Add the butter to the flour and pulse until dough forms
- Remove the dough and place in a mixing bowl. Fold in the cranberry mixture
- Roll dough into a log shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for at least an hour
- Slice frozen dough into at least 1/4 inch pieces and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until edges become a tiny bit brown
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then move to a cooling rack for cookies to set
I have found these to be a perfect breakfast cookie!!!
*I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out Beautycounter for more info!! You will love it!! Give the gift of safe skincare this holiday season, gift sets available.