One last cookie recipe for the Holidays! These shortbread cookies have the perfect crunch and buttery flavor. I am learning to really like the cranberry and orange flavor pairing and it's the perfect combo for Christmas.
Cranberries are a very low sugar fruit making them a great low carb option for cakes, cookies and muffins. I did have to add arrowroot flour t0 this recipe to get them to hold together and retain their crunch. It does add a bit of starch to this recipe, but it's such a minimal amount! The fourth cup only adds about two carbs per cookie. I also used Swerve as the sweetener in this recipe to keep the sugar amount low, that way you can have more than one without guilt!!!
Recipe: Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups Honeyville Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour/powder
- 1/2 cup grass-fed butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 1/2-2/3 cup granulated sweetener (I used 2/3 cup Swerve)
- couple dashes of sea salt
- 1 heaping tbsp orange zest (Microplane that I love for zesting)
- 1 tsp fresh juice of the orange
- 1 tsp granulated sweetener or Swerve
- 1/3 cup fresh cranberries, chopped
- Place the cranberries in a food processor with 1 tsp sweetener and pulse
- Toss cranberries with juice and zest, set aside
- In the food processor, add flour, arrowroot, sugar and salt. Pulse until combined
- Add the butter to the flour and pulse until dough forms
- Remove the dough and place in a mixing bowl. Fold in the cranberry mixture
- Roll dough into a log shape and wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for at least an hour
- Slice frozen dough into at least 1/4 inch pieces and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until edges become a tiny bit brown
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then move to a cooling rack for cookies to set
I have found these to be a perfect breakfast cookie!!!
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!
*I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out BeautyCounter for more info!! You will love it!! Give the gift of safe skincare this holiday season, gift sets available.