Today's recipe is a Holiday classic! This grain free thumbprint cookie recipe comes from Leeann, the creator of the blog www.cutthewheatblogspot.com. I decided to make these today and used chocolate as the filling to make them even more decadent and because I didn't have jelly on hand. These are delicious and so buttery! They were a huge hit around here and there aren't many left. My batch spread out a lot more than hers, as you can see. I think I pushed down the batter too much, but that certainly doesn't affect the taste. I used about 4 dark chocolate chips in each cookie and added the chips after they had baked for about 15 minutes and then baked an additional 5 minutes.
Enjoy Leeann's story and her recipe below!
Amidst the trays of colorful iced angels, Russian tea cakes, gingerbread men and coconut macaroons lie my favorite cookie of all time: jam thumbprints. These tasty cookies have a buttery, tender dough that gets rolled in crunchy nuts and then topped off with fruit jam. To me, they are the quintessential Christmas cookie. I can almost still feel the slimy raw eggs on my hands as I rolled the dough in the nut mixture as a child. My mom insisted on putting the jam in, though!
When I started reducing, and eventually eliminating, wheat from my diet, I thought I’d bid my favorite cookie goodbye forever. I was willing to do just that, but on a whim, I decided to come up with a test recipe for my beloved cookie this holiday season. I’m proud to announce that with a few hours of hard work, I made myself a fantastic recipe that ‘s so close to the real thing even my husband, daughter and in-laws, all wheat and sugar consumers, couldn’t tell the difference.
These cookies are not only wheat free—they are completely grain free. If you prefer, you can refrain from rolling the cookies in nuts and simply place the jam in the middle. They’re delicious all the same!
Grain Free Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup butter, softened (or 1/2 c coconut oil for vegan)
- 2/3 cup granulated sweetener (I used erythritol)*
- 8 drops liquid Stevia
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg (for dough)
- 1 beaten egg (to help nuts stick to dough balls)
- 3/4 cup crushed walnuts or pecans (optional)
- * Gluten free, sugar-free jam for topping (I used peach, strawberry and raspberry no sugar Polaner)
- Preheat oven to 325 and coat cookie sheet in nonstick spray.
- In large mixing bowl, cream together butter, erythritol, stevia and vanilla.
- Add in the egg and lightly mix until smooth. Slowly mix in almond and coconut flour.
- Ball up the dough into one tablespoon servings, and roll each ball in the beaten egg, and then cover in chopped nuts.
- Place each cookie a few inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Use a greased thumb or small spoon to create indents in each cookie, then fill with approx.. ¼ – ½ tsp. of jam.
- Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes or until cookies are very slightly browned at the edges. Allow to cool and set for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
*I used Swerve as the sweetener in place of all other sweeteners to keep this a low sugar treat.
If you want to try Swerve or need to order more, use coupon code KATE10 for a 10% discount. Swerve is my favorite sugar replacement. It is the only sugar alcohol that will not cause tummy troubles and it does not raise blood glucose levels.
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!
*I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out BeautyCounter for more info!! You will love it!!