I absolutely love all things lemon...even this gelato in the middle of winter! I made this recipe months ago but decided to wait for some warmer weather to share it with you! If you love lemon and low carb desserts, make sure to head over to All Day I Dream About Food's Luscious Low Carb Lemon Desserts Round Up!! Even if you aren't a lemon lover, check out Carolyn's website anyway! She has a ton of amazing looking dishes and desserts...and she loves Swerve as much as I do so her treats are low to no sugar!!
Dairy Free Lemon Gelato
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2-3/4 cup granulated sweetener ( I used Swerve for no sugar option)
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons)
- 2 heaping tbsp grated lemon peel
- Whisk the egg yolks and set aside
- Combine the milks and sweetener in a heavy saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a simmer
- Once the milk is simmering, reduce the heat to low
- Slowly whisk about a ladle full of milk into the egg yolks, whisking the entire time
- Slowly add the egg yolk mixture back into the warm pan, whisking the entire time. Add the lemon peel at this time
- Continue cooking the mixture on low and stirring until it thickens up, coats the back of a spoon
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Strain the mixture to remove any seeds and the lemon peel
- Place in the fridge or freezer to cool
- Once cooled, run thru an ice cream maker or freeze it in a loaf pan or use the ziploc method*
*I haven't tried this, but you simply pour the mixture into a ziploc and freeze. When you are ready to serve the Gelato, place the frozen mixture into a blender and blend until smooth!
If you want to try Swerve or need to order more, use coupon code KATE10 for a discount. If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!
*I have recently switched all of my skincare and makeup to a company that is free of 1,500 chemicals!! I am so particular about what goes into my body, I need to be just as picky as to what goes on my body! Your skin is your largest organ and absorbs chemicals into the bloodstream faster than the gut does! I am vain when it comes to my skin and was so thrilled to find products that are anti-aging and work!!! Check out BeautyCounter for more info!! You will love it!!