I love easy desserts, especially desserts that have a decent amount of protein in them. This recipe has many variations and can be made with or without added protein. Just like the Peanut Butter Protein Balls and the Grain Free Cookie Dough Truffles, no one would ever know there was egg white protein powder in it!
Recipe: Dairy Free Vanilla Bean Pudding
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen for the thickness)
- 2/3 cup non-dairy milk (I like coconut or almond)
- 2 egg yolks (optional, but makes it creamier)
- 4 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/8 tsp vanilla bean powder (1 pod, scraped)
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Lakanto, Wholesome Sweeteners Zero or coconut palm sugar (could try honey, maple syrup of coconut nectar in a lesser amount)
- 1/4 cup vanilla egg white protein (optional)
- In a mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks and set aside
- In another bowl, beat the 2/3 cup milk and the arrowroot until smooth
- Combine the two bowls and add the protein powder at this time, set aside
- Add the can of coconut milk, vanilla beans, sweetener and oil to a saucepan, slowly bring to a boil
- Reduce the heat and SLOWLY add the egg mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly so the eggs don't cook
- Continue stirring until the pudding thickens and coats the back of a spoon
- If protein was added or you want a smoother texture, run the mixture through a blender
- Pour into ramekins, jars, bowl, etc and place in the frig to set up (about 4 hours or overnight)
I think the vanilla beans give this a stronger flavor. If you opt for vanilla extract, add it in at the very end. I would try 1 tsp to taste.
Don't be in a hurry to take this off the stove, make sure it thickens up.
This is an easy way to fulfill a sweet craving and not feel guilty about it!!!