Going grain free doesn't mean you have to miss out on the glutinous goodies! They may not have gluten in them, but they certainly aren't lacking in taste! Baking grain free definitely can be challenging...like making a bread 6 times before it comes out right! I think I still have 3 loaves of my Banana Bread in the freezer that are a bit too mushy, eggy or fell in the middle. This french toast recipe works regardless of the moisture level in the bread so I will be eating a lot of Banana Bread French Toast!
I remember as a kid being at Disney World and having breakfast at the Polynesian Hotel. We ordered banana cinnamon french toast and it was amazing!!! It was stuffed with bananas and coated in enough cinnamon and sugar to make the bread 2 inched thick! Since they weren't sweet enough already, we had to eat it with syrup on top! I can't imagine how overly sweet that would be to me now. This grain free recipe reminded me of that day and how much my taste buds have changed. I think most of you will find this french toast sweet enough!
Recipe: Banana Bread French Toast
- 1 loaf Grain Free Banana Bread, sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (I used coconut milk)
- coconut oil for skillet
- 1-2 bananas sliced (optional for topping)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk all of the ingredients
- Heat an oiled skillet over medium to medium high heat
- Place a slice of bread in the mixture and wet each side
- Place on the skillet and brown each side
- Top with butter (from grass-fed cows), bananas and syrup
Makes about 8 pieces depending on thickness of each slice
This bread is already pretty sweet so go easy on the syrup or use Nature's Hollow Xylitol Syrup for a lower sugar option. You could also top this with peanut butter or almond butter too!!!