I have been sitting on this recipe for quite some time. It is one of my favorite granola recipes, but I get hesitant to share my recipes that I use a dehydrator. I know only a few of you have one and this can certainly be done in the oven, but the dehydrator always tastes best.
This is the perfect flavor for this time a year and can be enjoyed plain or with milk! The added protein powder makes this the perfect high fat and moderate protein breakfast!!! You may also like to try my other grain free granola recipes, Almond Nut Joy, Banana Nut and Pumpkin Spice.
Maybe a dehydrator should be on your holiday wish list!!! The Nesco that I have is very reasonably priced.
Cinnamon Apple Granola
- 2 1/2 cups raw nuts, chopped (I used almonds and walnuts)
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder* (I used Jay Robb’s Vanilla Egg White Protein)
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp lucuma powder, optional
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- couple dashes of sea salt
- Combine the chopped nuts, apple pieces, protein powder, almond flour, lucuma, cinnamon and salt in a bowl and mix well
- In a separate bowl, combine the apple sauce, almond butter, honey and vanilla
- Combine the two bowls and stir until all the dry ingredients are coated
- Place on dehydrator sheets in clumps and dehydrate at 145 for 2 hours, then turn down to 115 until desired crunch is obtained. I left it in there for 24 hrs.
- For oven method, place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 175-200 until desired crunch is obtained. Stir every so often to cook evenly
*Substitute the protein powder for an additional 1/4 cup almond flour.
I used Nature’s Hollow Xylitol Honey for a lower sugar option.
For those of you that try this in the oven, let us all know how it turned out!