It's chilly and rainy here, but that doesn't stop me from making ice cream!! This vanilla bean ice cream is so versatile and can be jazzed up so many ways. Feel free to add in nuts, fruit, chocolate chips, nut butters, etc. I think its perfect plain and simple.
I have a no sugar option below using Swerve. I actually prefer the taste of this over the real honey, but those sweeteners cause liquids to become rock hard in the freezer. If you plan to eat the ice cream straight from the ice cream maker, it's not a problem. It's really not a problem at all if you let it thaw out before serving straight from the freezer.
I don't include this in the recipe, but you could make this a high protein treat. I would add 1/4 cup vanilla egg white protein to this. Add it as the very last step and run the mixture through a blender to remove protein lumps. I'm sure any protein powder would work, I would suggest only use a vanilla, strawberry or chocolate flavored one.
Recipe: Dairy Free Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Combine cans of coconut milk, non dairy milk, and vanilla beans in a sauce pan and heat on medium (If using a dry sweetener, add it here too)
- Once milk begins to simmer, turn heat down to low
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks, add sweetener (liquid) and vanilla extract and mix well
- Take a ladle full at a time of the milk mixture and incorporate it into egg mixture as you continuously whisk the eggs
- Once you have mixed all of the milk in, cover the bowl and let cool in the frig (or the freezer if you won't be using an ice cream maker or anxious for it to cool)
- Place cold mixture into ice cream maker and follow directions
- Store in an airtight container
*I prefer to use the So Delicious Vanilla Coconut Milk with no sugar
If you want to try Swerve or need to order more, use coupon code KATE10 for a 10% discount. Swerve is my favorite sugar replacement. It is the only sugar alcohol that will not cause tummy troubles and it does not raise blood glucose levels.
If you are an Amazon shopper, would you be so kind to use my affiliate link to make your purchases. It is at no cost to you, it does provide a tiny kickback to Kate’s Healthy Cupboard. This allows me to continue making and testing recipes for free. Thanks so much!!