Plantain Flour...what the heck is that and where do you find it? I had no idea there was such a thing until a few months back. I ordered a bunch and have been experimenting with this starchy, moisture absorbing flour. After I created the Plantain Tortilla Chips Recipe, I knew I could make some sort of a tortilla as well. I will probably still try a "corn tortilla" that could be used for an open face taco, but until then, these bendable tortillas are perfect for tacos, burritos, wraps and so much more!!! I love them warm with melted butter and rolled up. I think next time I might add some cinnamon too!
There are so many different grain free tortilla recipes out there using almond flour and/or coconut flour. I just don't think they taste much like a tortilla. These turned out to be the next best thing to a gluten filled one. If you have recently been eating "normal" tortillas, these may seem weird, but if you are used to the very different "bread like" products of the gluten free world, you will enjoy these! They actually bend without breaking and have that doughy taste and feel to them. I think they are best when served warm and used the same day they are made. They are fine a day or two later, but like most baked goods, they are best fresh and warm. I can't wait to try this in an enchilada recipe.
Recipe: Plantain Flour Tortillas
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth
- Heat a greased skillet (I used a small one) on med-high heat
- Once it is hot, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto pan and swirl around to coat it
- Cook until brown and flip to cook the other side
- I took the pan off the burner and lowered heat between cooking each one. It seems to get too hot and the batter won't swirl around. If you lower the heat, it won't brown the tortilla and make it crispy.
Makes about 10 small tortillas
Plantain Flour is inexpensive compared to nut and coconut flours. It can be found on Amazon, but is less expensive to order it directly from the company, Barry Farms. Here is another pancake recipe using Plantain Flour that will make it worth your while to purchase some of it!