It seems that the entire country is experiencing record heat. It's been so hot here in Colorado that I have been craving salads and smoothies for my meals. Oh and of course I've been treating myself to plenty of homemade ice cream. My favorite is to make Dairy Free Mint Chip Ice Cream since it's so easy and fast.
I love just a traditional Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing, but I wanted to experiment a little. Roasted strawberries sounded delicious, so I decided to try them in a dressing. The good news is, it turned out great, the bad news is you have to turn on your oven. It's worth it! The roasting makes the strawberries ooze their delicious sweet syrup. I almost wanted to whip up some pancakes and serve the berries over that and just forget the dressing! I'm thinking roasted fruit and ice cream are the next thing on my list to make!!
Recipe: Roasted Strawberry Vinaigrette
- 1 cup fresh organic strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 heaping tbsp fresh basil
- 1/4-1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place the strawberries on a parchment lined cookie sheet that has sides
- Roast at 400 for 20 minutes
- Pour the berries and the syrup that has oozed out of the berries into a blender along with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth
This is the perfect dressing to serve at your July 4th celebration! I enjoyed this on a spinach salad with some fresh strawberry slices, avocado and walnuts.