So let's be honest, what isn't delicious when it's wrapped in bacon...can't think of anything!! I don't eat it that often, but when I do, I savor every last bite. I am not worried about bacon fat, or really any healthy fat for that matter. As long as your bacon is from a hormone free source and not full of sugar, treat yourself to it here and there! I get mine from a local butcher, but I highly recommend US Wellness Meats for their bacon and all things meat! Trusted family farm raising animals right!!
This is such an easy recipe and may remind you of a popular appetizer that calls for water chest nuts wrapped in bacon. This is just as good, but lacks the crunch of the chestnut, so feel free to add them to each bite as well. I used bay scallops, it's what I had, but diver scallops cut in half will work just fine. You may need a bigger piece of bacon for the diver scallops halves or if you are adding a water chest nut.
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- 1 lb bay scallops (or diver scallops cut in half)
- 8-10 pieces of bacon
- 1/2-2/3 cup Coconut Aminos (found online or Asian aisle of natural grocery stores)
(Gluten Free Soy alternative)
- can of water chest nuts (optional)
- tooth picks or bamboo skewers
- Marinate the scallops (and water chestnuts) in the Coconut Aminosfor at least an hour
- Cut the bacon into half or thirds depending on what scallops you are using or if you are adding chestnuts
- Wrap the bacon around the scallop and hold it together with a toothpick or skewer
- Place the wrapped scallops on a broiler pan. If you don’t have one, a cooling rack placed on a cookie sheet that is lined with foil works great too
- Broil for 3-4 minutes on each side. Watch these so they don’t burn
- Serve hot and crispy!