This may sound very similar to a recipe from a few months back, cause it is. I basically took my recipe for my Raw Beet Sunflower Seed Pesto and made a few changes to create this delicious cracker! If you are a beet person, this is a must try! I used my dehydrator, but I believe this should work just fine in the oven. Many ovens have a dehydrator option or just bake these at the lowest possible setting.
Raw Beet and Sunflower Seed Crackers
- 2 large beets, peeled and chopped (about 5 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3/4 – 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk*
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Place the chopped beets into a food processor and blend until pureed
- Add in the remaining ingredients excluding the sunflower seeds and blend until well combined
- Add the seeds to the mixture and combine. Do not let the seeds get so small they disappear.
- Dehydrate at 145 for 2 hours. Reduce the temp to 105 and dehydrate until crisp. Once the top is completely dry, I flip the crackers to finish. this is the best time to cut or score the “dough” into desired cracker size.
- Oven Method: Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at lowest temperature setting or dehydrator setting until desired crunch. You may want to turn the crackers over part way through to cook evenly. You can try cutting or scoring the crackers at that time as well.
*Psyllium husk powder helps to bind the ingredients, like an egg does or flax meal mixed with liquid does. It can be found at most health food stores in the supplement section. It is a powder that is high in fiber and when consumed in high amounts, it can cause intestinal distress. I promise the one tablespoon of it in this entire recipe will not cause a problem for you!!