Ground turkey can be tricky to fix for the serious meat eater. It tends to be a bit boring for them! I think it may be due to the fact that it can be a drier meat if overcooked and doesn't have a ton of flavor to someone that is used to eating ground red meats.
When purchased from the meat counter, you will almost always get the very lean breast. Since it is so lean, it tends to dry out very easily. I personally prefer the taste of the lean over the 85% lean that you can typically find prepackaged. Either one will work for this recipe or you can go with ground turkey thigh if you prefer.
Recipe: Roasted Red Pepper & Basil Turkey Burger
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
- 3 - 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Whisk the egg in a bowl
- Add the turkey, onions, oil, peppers, spices and herbs into a bowl and pour the egg into the mixture
- Combine all of the ingredients with hands
- Form into patties (may seem a bit wet but should stay together)
- Heat an oiled skillet over medium heat
- Once the skillet is hot, add the patties and cover
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Flip the burgers and bake another 3-4 minutes or until done
Serve plain, wrapped in lettuce or topped with avocado!