My first experiment with the dehydrator...SUCCESS!!! I made the best jerky! I love jerky but so many of them are flavored with soy sauce and I obviously can't have that. I took my favorite green chili's and favorite spice blend from Penzey's, added them to ground buffalo and created this convenient high protein snack! Using ground meats makes the process so much easier and you'll never know the difference!! I just recently made it with ground turkey and beef and they are just as good!!! Turkey has such little fat that it cooks a bit faster so make sure to check on it!
I have only used a dehydrator to make this but, I think the oven would work as well. I included instructions for that. If you try the oven method, please report back about how it worked!!!
Recipe: Green Chili Buffalo Jerky
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and mix together well
- Place the mixture on jelly roll lined dehydrator trays. Pat down to a little over 1/4 of an inch
- Dehydrate at 160 degrees for about 8 1/2 hours (the longer it goes the more leathery and chewy it will become)
- After about 6 hours flip the jerky
- Once it is dried to your liking, tear into pieces
Oven Method (I have not tried this but I think this should work)
- Set temp to 175 degrees
- Press mixture onto cookie sheets a little over 1/4 inch thick
- Cook for 4 hours and then flip it and cook another 2 hours. Check it periodically to make sure its not getting too dry
- Turn off oven and let it sit in there until completely dried out
- Once it's dried out, tear into pieces
*Penzey's is sold online or in one of there many locations. Adobo spice is a blend of garlic, onion, Tellicherry black pepper, Mexican oregano, cumin and cayenne red pepper. I'm sure you could sprinkle a few of these spices into the mix and make it taste just as good! If using 505 chilis, that may be enough spice for some *505 Flame Roasted Chili's have way more flavor than canned green chilis. They have a kick! They can be found at some Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage and on Amazon